Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I feel remiss for not mentioning my first and largest donor to date: the intrepid Rob Perkins. Rob has been supportive of my trip since its inception. Rob is a great adventurer himself, having solo canoed Arctic and African rivers numerous times and written books and created films about his trips (which I recommend seeing). Rob donated to my adventure so long ago--before the blog, before the newsletter--that I've neglected him here. So be sure to visit his website, read his books, see his movies, and follow HIS next trip--another solo canoe journey to Mexico traveling the Virgin and Lower Colorado Rivers, interviewing people along the way, to find out What Water Wants. Visit his website at http://www.gotrob.com/.

I am experiencing a Christmas bonanza (maybe I should mention my birthday is coming up!!??) of cards containing checks!! Many thanks to Loulie Meynard of Ann Arbor, Michigan (the Midwest is being very good to me). Loulie visited Zion waaay back when I was a seasonal park ranger in the 1980s and again a couple years ago with our mutual pal Barby Graves. When in Michigan last summer, I spent a perfect day with Lou and Barb out on Lou's pontoon boat on an exceptional lake north of Ann Arbor. We walked Ann Arbor's streets and visited the natural sciences building where I spent soooo many hours when at the university back in the 1970s--it all looked so different and so the same. It was a great day. Thanks Lou! Here's some silly photos of Barb, Lou, and me in one of those photo booths while we were in Chicago earlier this year--boy did we have fun!

No comments: