Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Tale of Whoa

After encountering insurmountable difficulties and being caught in an uncomfortable situation, I decided, after a long and agonizing ten days in Scotland, not to do the End to End Ride this year. I returned to Utah May 16, and am still in shock, as I imagine you are.

I realized I was not prepared to complete the ride safely for the lovely Midnight or myself. I had all the right gear and the perfect horse, but I did not feel I could put together a safe and careful route in the time I had, and so decided to postpone the ride until next year.

I've been planning this trip so long it was very difficult to give up when I was so close. I will keep Midnight in anticipation of next year's re-attempt, and hope to lease her to someone in England this year.

Sharon Hatfield tells me the Marines have never retreated--they've only advanced in the opposite direction. So that's what I'm doing: advancing by learning from what's happened.

I wanted to let you know of my decision because you have been so amazingly generous to me. I appreciate your support, help, and encourangement through what for me has been an extremely difficult decision and period. Sincerely, Greer

No comments: