Saturday, February 7, 2009

Packing

I am updating my blog today from the Asus computer I will carry on my trip to see if it works. The Asus only weighs 2 lbs., and is drop proof. Well, drop resistant. I doubt it's horse proof. I'm going to have to get used to its very tiny keypad. Doing my first dry run today, in terms of gear. Have everything I've accumuated spread on the living room floor, and am packing to see if it fits in the saddle bags, and how much it all weighs. Notice nicely packed pouches on right, mess of unpacked gear on left, empty saddle bags on rocking chair, and Bo nicely plopped between gear and front door. She always does this when I pack. "I AM going with you."

Realized yesterday I needed a suitcase just for all the gear, so went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a huge wheeled duffle, a backup headlamp (Petzl), some packing cubes, and a few other misc. necessities, like neatly folded duct tape, all of which, with the exception of the duffel, fit in my pocket: $135. Amazing how fast stuff adds up. I had only been in SW once before, and left in shock, a tad appalled by all the fishing, shooting, and four-wheeling gear (along with the token women's clothing section). So I decided to give them a second chance by asking if they ever make donations/give discounts to nonprofit folk. "Why, yes," said the manager, "nonprofit SPORTS groups." "Well," I said, "I just happen to be one." "No," he replied, "I mean like Ducks Unlimited, etc., etc." Anyway, I did't fit the bill. I rarely do!

No comments: