Sunday, February 8, 2009

More Packing

Here we are all packed and ready to go. Essentials languishing on the floor fit into purple saddle bags on right which fit in front of the saddle for easy access. This is where the brownies go. Found some fantastic packing cubes at DI (Deseret Industries for the uninitiated--the Mormon version of Goodwill). I think they were originally for someone's contacts and solutions, anyway they are waterproof inside and out and fit a pound of coffee plus individual disposable coffee filters perfectly!! My HotShot cook stove fits perfectly in another one. Two for a dollar!! Gotta go back for more. I have most of the big ticket gear I need (sans horse).
Still need a camera (I've been using my I Phone). Checked them out at about $300. Yipes. Still need waterproof saddle bags (those in photo are the cheapy southwestern version--i.e., canvas--I'm using to test size. They cost a whopping $25; waterproofs are about $140. Need to find a backup battery for the IPhone ($50) and Ordinance Survey Maps (a huge cost for me--about $250), but getting much closer. Also still looking for adventure insurance. Tried a few "travel" insurance companies on the web, but they don't insure folks like me, so have now approached high risk companies that insure diplomats against terrorists, etc. We'll see what THAT costs!!

No comments: